Using Relays with Arduino Lilypad

So the first night gown has been destroyed. Yes, it is now fried. The flexinol burnt right through it when I was running tests and… well, didn’t realize it was still on pumping 30volts through the dress for too long.

I found that using conductive fabric and thread was not effective in creating a solid connection with the flexinol. It would work but only shortly and mostly not at all. So I had to use real wiring in the gown (not very wearables-like, I know). But I used thin wire and this has been more effective getting a good flow of voltage to the flexinol.

The second photo shows where I”ve sewn the microphone from the front of the garment to the back (this gown is now fried however), the first photo shows the wires under the garment (and yes, that is a wad of flexinol I was playing with and behold! Another burn! – The wad of flexinol (.001 diameter) cannot handle 30volts).

Wires sewn into gowns
Wires sewn into gowns
Sewing microphone into the gown
Sewing microphone into the gown

The bottom left photo shows the conductive fabric that was sewn into the first dress.

And I”ve included a photo of the relays I may have to use. I am thinking I may have to have a smaller relay, switched by the lilypad, to turn on another relay. The larger 2nd relay can handle having 30volts pumped through it while the smaller one cannot. I learned this by buying and destroying about 8 reed relays.

Attempting to use conductive fabric: Unsuccessfully
Attempting to use conductive fabric: Unsuccessfully
A switch to flip a switch
A switch to flip a switch
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s